The Student Research Awards judges include teachers, historians, and archivists. The judges will select the award recipient(s) for each division based on the following criteria:
- To what extent has the student used historical records?
- Does the bibliography display a variety of historical records?
- To what extent has the student used information from these documents?
- Is the entry historically accurate?
- Does the entry demonstrate an understanding of historical context?
- Does the entry show analysis of the topic, not just the facts, and is this analysis presented in the student's own words?
- Does the entry show evidence of creativity and imagination in interpreting information from historical records with other information?
- Does the final product answer a research question in-depth, using analysis and interpretation of the historical records?